Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Little Inspiration

by T-Bob

First of all I want to say how excited I am to be not only working towards bringing this story to life, but also to be doing it with mis hermanos! It's quite an adventure.

Now onto your irregularly scheduled blog post:

A couple years ago I created the two main characters as illustrations and figured they'd never be anything more. They're shown below. After seeing them, you may be wondering, where the hell did I get the idea for them?

Little Hog (LHFH) was inspired by one of my best friend's and my favorite pastimes; singing songs and changing the lyrics. One day we were singing Roxette's "Listen to your heart" (of course) and we changed the last line of a verse to "A little hog from heaven in your dreams!" Obviously that character we were singing about had to be brought into the world

Evil Asian Robot came by us in a completely different but equally ridiculous way. Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm a huge fan of Joss Whedon. Well in his show 'Angel', Daniel Dae Kim played an evil lawyer who was not very threatening, or emotional but was still technically evil. He was so uninfluential in the show Zabeth (my bestie) and I began to call him Evil Asian Robot (EAR). So I went about creating him.

The originals were done in literal layers (as opposed to Photoshop [PS] layers). The bottom layer (background) is water color. The top layers are done in pencil which I went over with colored marker, then cut out with exacto blades and glued onto the first layer. And let me tell you those curly Q's in LHFH's name were not easy to cut out! The exception is that EAR was put together in photoshop even though I cut out the pieces. Also part of his name was drawn in PS, but I can't remember which part now.

No comments:

Post a Comment